As businesses increasingly depend on backup power and energy storage in data centers, utilities, telecommunications and energy storage systems, battery rooms becoming more important. This trend, will drive more and larger battery rooms and with evolving code and standards requirements, bring the issue of detection and safe ventilation of hydrogen to the forefront.
Lead acid and Ni-Cad batteries are commonly used in battery applications because they offer cost-effective power storage. But these batteries dissipate hydrogen that can reach flammable levels. To minimize the risk, the hydrogen needs to be controlled to a maximum concentration of 25% of the lower flammability limit (LFL) or 1% of total room volume.
Until now, hydrogen detection systems required frequent calibration and replacement based on the available technology which significantly increased the cost of the system and required frequent truck rolls. Facility managers want to be able to set it and forget it… now you can!
Problems for the Battery Industry:
- • Sensors that are consumed
- • Labor intensive with high maintenance costs
- • Analog communications
- • Unreliable based on bad maintenance practices
New and Improved H2scan technology has solved the problems for Battery Room Applications:
- • Not to have to run fans continuously
- • Long 10+ year life with a 10-year warranty– lasts over 10 years (in outdoor use and even longer for indoor use
- • Auto-calibration (note: the unit still calibrates, but no action is necessary from the user)
- • Digital / Modbus communications
- • Set and Forget!
The unique solid state, non-consumable sensor technology built into the HY-ALERTA sensors provides real-time continuous hydrogen monitoring with no cross-sensitivity to other gases in the environment, particularly other combustibles. More information on H2scan’s battery room safety products can be found below